Simple Split Pea Soup

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Like I said it before it's soup season at our house, I've been cooking plenty of it in the last couple of weeks. This is by far one of my favorite soups: split pea! Take a look:


Recipe by Sweet Caroline

Ingredients (serves 4):
1 lb. bag dried split pea, rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 strips smoked bacon, chopped
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 chicken bouillon
Salt and pepper

Directions:
In a medium pot over high heat; add the dried split pea, chicken bouillon and enough cold water to cover the split peas. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer, stirring occasionally. If all the water evaporates before the peas are tender, just keep adding water to the pot until the peas are tender (it all takes about 45 - 60 minutes, depending). Remove from heat, and pour the peas to a bowl. Return the pot to the heat, add the olive oil and bacon, let it cook until crispy. Add the minced garlic and cook for about a minute. Pour the peas to the pot, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot!

* Tip *: I like my soup with a little texture but you can puree the peas before returning them to the pot. I think it's great either way. 

4 comments:

Reduce, Reuse, Renewed said...

Thanks for posting this. I had split pea soup for the first time when I was in the hospital after having my third baby. Both my older daughter and I loved it. Look forward to trying a homemade version which I'm sure will taste even better!

Miz Helen said...

Hi Caroline,
Your Split Pea Soup looks delicious!
Hope you are having a great day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Diane Balch said...

I love split pea soup and bacon definitely makes it better. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us on foodie friday.

Motive to be Pretty said...

Delicia!

 
site design by designer blogs