Recipe & a Movie Series: Funfetti Scones + Mary Poppins

Monday, September 2, 2013

There used to be a show on TBS called Dinner & a Movie, I love to watch movies and the program would always showcase a fun recipe along with the movie, the program doesn't exist anymore but I loved the idea. While back, I found a site called Gastronomismo and the recipes are inspired by books, songs, culture, TV series and films! I'm hooked on this site and by the amazing recipes too!

So, I thought it would be fun to do recipes that are inspired by films, and the more I think about, there's always a recipe that be related to a great film.
I can remember vividly growing up and watching Mary Poppins many times, who doesn't love the perfect nanny that can sing and dance so marvelously? Today's recipe is inspired by the scene where they're having a tea party on the ceiling, I'm sharing a fabulous funfetti scones recipe to go along with the fun they were having with the tea party. Pretty lovely, right? and this marks the very first post from Recipe & a Movie Series, take a look:


Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar, plus a little for sprinkling
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup colorful sprinkles, plus a little for sprinkling

Directions:
Pre heat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter, cut in the butter with two butter knives, a pastry blender or just use your hands until the butter are the size of peas. Add the colorful sprinkles and mix well, make a well in the mixture and add the heavy cream. Gently stir the dough until it forms a ball, transfer the dough to a clean and floured surface, knead it gently three or four times. Make an 8-inch circle and cut the dough into 8 wedges. Transfer it to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about 1 inch between each one. Brush tops of scones with heavy cream, sprinkle some sugar and colorful sprinkles. Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until the scones are starting to brown. Let it cool before serving. Enjoy!

Recipe & a Movie Series
Stay tuned! Next week, I'm sharing a fabulous
Lemon Meringue Pie along with the film Waitress.
You don't want to miss out!

2 comments:

Helen @lovelyandloving said...

I love that idea of a recipe and a movie. These scones look really pretty and yummy! I've pinned it and will try it soon. Looking forward to more from the recipe and a movie series!

Kerry said...

Those scones look delicious!! Very different to what we would call scones, but I am going to make these for sure!! I have so many recipes of yours that I want to try, I need to make a note of them :)
What a clever idea, I too love movies so this will be fun to follow :)

 
site design by designer blogs