Tips to Encourage Your Kids to Read

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I love to read, I love books and I try my fair share to encourage my kids to love it as well and be interested in books too. I believe that encouraging them from an early age is very healthy and you don't have to over do it, here are a few tips that worked for me and my family and I think it should work for you too.

 1. Start Small: I would show Sophia a picture book when she was just about 8-9 months, of course she would just look and point at things but I did this for at least a couple of minutes everyday in order to get her attention. As she got older, I started to get more books and I would always pick one with a familiar  character, such: Olivia or Max & Ruby since they're her favorites.

(Sophia just about 8-9 months with a little picture book)

2. Take Trips to Your Local Library: Visit your local library as often as possible and make it a fun trip for your toddler. I'm very lucky because our local library always has fun activities and story time for the kids. I take Sophia every Wednesday to the library for story time and it's really fun, they read 3-4 books to the kids, sing songs and there's even a puppet show. Now, every time I say that we're going to the library, she loves it!

3. Read with Your Kids: I always try my best to make time to read with Sophia and if she loves the book, she always asks me to read lots of times during the week with her. I try to make it into a everyday routine that way she can get used to, but I love when she asks me out of the blue. So, always make time to read with your kids because it's worth every minute of it.

Here are just some of Sophia's favorite books:
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Olivia Counts by Ian Falconer
Dr. Meow's Big Emergency by Sam Lloyd

Happy Reading!

♥ ♥ 

No comments:

 
site design by designer blogs